From a corner of the office, Major Medoiu watched with visible inner tension every movement of the doctor on duty. The latter, a man seemingly too young for Esculap’s profession, with a bushy black moustache that did not make him look any older, bent over the officer lying on the sofa covered with a white sheet and unbuttoned his jacket and shirt, revealing his muscular chest, covered with tufts of golden hair. He put the stethoscope to her heart, listened to its beat. A little later, he straightened from the middle, looking bewildered at Medoiu. The Major, in his excitement, seemed ready to pounce on him. But the doctor looked away from the patient. After taking his pulse, he murmured to himself:
– Hm! Strange! Very strange!
– What’s strange, Doctor? Medoiu burst out, unable to contain his nerves.
The doctor replied only after raising his eyelids once more to the unconscious officer:
– I say strange, because I’ve never come across such a case before today. I am not joking when I say that he is dead and yet alive.
He smiled shamelessly and his moustache went to one side.
– Clinical death? Medoiu asked in a whisper, as if he was afraid of being overheard.
– Oh, no! He’s fallen into a lethargic state… Probably caused by a chemical substance. It could also be hypnotically induced.
– You’re talking nonsense, Doctor! Medoiu is furious.
– You’re my superior and you can believe anything, the doctor confronted him with a calmness and certainty that made the Major regret his outburst. He’s not dead and I don’t think he’s going to die… some reflexes respond, others don’t… Don’t worry, he’ll wake up on his own. You’re leaving him with us?
– Does he need any intervention?
– We need to keep him under observation, the doctor says, again looking at his patient as a museum curiosity.
The Major turned his thoughts to Doinaș’s mission and the incredible ploy of the Germans. What could have happened there, in that villa? he wondered desperately, without taking his eyes off the stranger who had replaced Doinaș. Why did the Germans need all this fuss, since the negotiations were only favourable to them? What happened between Doinaș and Brauner?
Autor: Haralamb Zinca
Colectie: Haralamb Zinca
Anul aparitiei: 2.021
Luna aparitiei: 6
Tip coperta: Brosata
Format: 110 x 180
Cod de bare: 9786069739310